Sunday, December 03, 2006

HDR-Tone mapping Experiment

I have been messing about with HRD images for a while now and have not had much sucess, I usually produce images that have a uniform flat dullness, not the vibrant colours and interesting lighting effects that I have seen on the web.
Here is today's effort, probably my best yet, still not quite there.
This image was created from 3 camera RAW images with different EVs, one for the brightest parts of the sky, one for the bottoms of the trees and one in the middle. I merged to HRD then tone mapped and compressed with FDRtools (the most basic and crappy looking HDR software I have used) It is actually a DOS application with a very basic GUI.
I think I could improve on this image by taking 5 images covering an even wider range of EVs. There is also more I could do in FDRtools to reduce the glow around the trees, and If I paid for it I wouldn't get the magenta crosshairs (which I have managed to mostly desaturate in photoshop)
I think this technique has some potential for me, but I have a way to go yet. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tom - really like the picture - I think if you hadn't said it would be really difficult to work out how you did it. Only thing that I don't like is the transparency of the trees apart from that it looks brilliant - 2TU....oops! wrong site.

Tom said...

Hi Dave,
Not sure what is causing the transparency issue, it could be some glare from the long exposure image, whatever, I think a larger set of images with a wider spread of EVs vould be better.